True to their word Audi have delivered the A5 Sportback into local showrooms with a two-pronged offensive. Kicking off the A5 Sportback range down under is a 2.0 TFSI equipped model with a manufacturer’s list price of $78,400. This will be partnered with a 3.0 V6 TDI priced from $89,100.
If that seems a little high to you, maybe standard fitment of a quattro all-wheel drive system and a 7-speed S tronic transmission will ease the pain. Other goodies thrown in include full leather seats with electric adjustment, MMI navigation and xenon headlights with LED daytime driving lights.
The other standard feature, which mustn’t be forgotten, is a great looking car, with a handy rear hatch and comfortable seating for four.
Tipping the scales at 1500kg the A5 Sportback isn’t a lightweight by any means, but its performance is quite brisk really. The 2.0 TFSI offers 155kW with a helpful 350Nm of torque and can get to 100km/h in 6.6 seconds. To give that figure some sort of context, that is quicker than a Golf GTI, which shares a similar turbocharged four cyclinder engine. However, in a sign of the times, it is the diesel that sets the performance benchmark in the Sportback range. The 0-100 dash is over in 6.1 seconds, thanks to the TDI’s 500Nm maximium torque and 176kW peak power.
Impressively, both engines are on the start of their flat torque curves from a low 1500rpm, with the TDI staying on its plateau until 3000rpm, while the TFSI keeps puffing strong until 4200rpm. So tractability and low down urge should be a strong point in both offerings.
Those wanting that little bit more performance, and with around $50K more to spend over the V6 TDI, will have to wait for the S5 Sportback, which is due in Australia by mid-year. With the excellent 245kW 3.0-litre supercharged engine from the S4 this car is sure to keep both fashionistas and revheads equally satisfied.
A full list of specifications is outlined below in Audi’s presser, along with tech specs in PDF format available for download. Heaps of pics, too, of course.
Audi A5 Sportback Arrives in Australia
- Audi A5 Sportback arrives in Australia
- Third variant of popular A5 range offers space, functionality and style
- Fuel efficient TFSI and TDI engines for Australian customers
Australia’s fastest growing German premium carmaker, Audi, is off to a flying start in 2010 with the January arrival of the new A5 Sportback concept.
This functional, five-door coupe offers Audi’s benchmark design and quality in a new ‘Sportback’ segment that borrows its emotional design from the A5 Coupe, adds the five-doors and load-carrying space of an Avant, and offers the storage and passenger room of a sedan.
It is a true all-rounder with an efficient range of TDI and FSI engines.
Priced at $78,400 (manufacturer’s list price MLP) for the 2.0 TFSI and $89,100 MLP for the 3.0 TDI model, the A5 Sportback is destined to be extremely popular with Australian customers, according to Audi’s managing director, Joerg Hofmann.
“It seems that once again Audi has managed to successfully combine conflicting traits – blending emotional design with a car that is functional in terms of space, even offering a very large rear tailgate for ease of access. It looks beautiful. It drives very well. It is a great car for a family, for everyday use and I believe it will sell very well Downunder,” Mr Hofmann said.
“It will be our volume-selling model in the A5 segment and will make a significant contribution to our sixth record year of sales in 2010.”
Initially responsible for the creation of the Avant body style, Audi has effectively forged another new design segment with the A5 Sportback.
The Sportback design concept, launched with the A3 Sportback, is defined by its elegant and stylish lines, short front and rear overhangs, long wheelbase and wide track.
In this latest model, four frameless doors complete the dynamic look, plus a large rear sportback for easy boot access.
Inside the car, a spacious interior for four features along with a large luggage compartment that increases from 480 to 980 litres with the rear seats folded. The luggage hatch is seamlessly integrated into the long, tapered tail end with flat C pillars; the spoiler lip and diffuser insert provide contrast and emphasise the sporty characteristics of the body contour.
In Australia, the A5 Sportback will be launched with two engines – the 2.0 TFSI and 3.0 TDI – both with quattro all-wheel-drive and S tronic as standard. The 2.0 TFSI model offers 155kW of power and 350Nm of torque, available from 1,500 – 4,200 rpm. It achieves the 0 – 100km/h sprint in 6.6 seconds and consumes 7.5 litres of fuel per 100km.
The V6 3.0 TDI offers 176kW of power, with a whopping 500Nm of torque between 1,500 – 3,000 rpm. 0-100km/h is achieved in just 6.1 seconds and incredibly, the 3.0 TDI engine sips just 6.6 litres per 100km, making it the 23rd model in the company’s fuel-efficient line-up benefiting from reduced LCT.
All models are equipped with a recuperation system that recovers energy during braking and deceleration, storing it temporarily in the battery. The A5 Sportback 2.0 TFSI is also equipped with the Audi valvelift system for variable control of valvelift. This intelligent technology boosts performance while simultaneously reducing fuel consumption.
The perfect complement is the Audi drive select vehicle dynamics system, which enables the driver to freely vary the throttle response characteristic, the shifting points of the seven-speed S tronic, and the boost provided by the servotronic steering system.
The arrival of the new A5 Sportback completes the Audi A5 range in Australia, joining the popular A5 Coupe which was first launched in October 2007 and the A5 Cabriolet model which arrived in August 2009.
The Audi S5 Sportback was unveiled globally at Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2009, and the car is expected to arrive locally around mid-2010. The S5 Sportback boasts a 3.0 TFSI engine with quattro and will be priced around $130,000.
- 4 frameless doors
- Large tailgate
- 8 airbags – Full-size airbag for driver and front passenger, with seat position sensors, adaptive airbag for driver and front passenger; side airbags (thorax-pelvis airbag at the front); head airbag system SIDEGUARD
- Alloys wheels – 17” 6-arm design for 2.0 TFSI and 18” 10 spoke design for 3.0 TDI
- Exterior mirrors of new design
- 6.5-inch colour screen
- Audi music interface
- Electric front and rear windows
- Electromechanical parking brake
- 3 zone Automatic air conditioning, with sun sensor
- Concert sound system with single-disc CD player
- Servotronic – power steering, speed-dependent
- Multifunction, leather-covered sports steering wheel
- ESP with electronic front axle differential lock (for front-wheel drive)
- quattro with sports differential
- S tronic transmission (standard on quattro variants)
- Bluetooth mobile phone prep
- Full keyless entry and start function
- Audi Parking system, rear only for 2.0TFSI
- Audi Parking system, front and rear for 3.0 TDI
- Xenon Plus headlights with LED daytime driving lights
- Cruise control
- Front centre armrest
- Interior lighting package
- Electric front seats with 4-way lumbar support
- Milano leather seats
- Split-folding rear seats
At a glance: Audi A5 Sportback
- Two engines from launch: 2.0 TFSI with 155kW and 3.0 TDI with 176kW
- Direct fuel injection for both engines
- Exceptional performance with exemplary efficiency
- 3.0 TDI model sips just 6.6 litres/100km, bringing Audi’s range of fuel efficient models below 7 litres/100km to 23
- Both engines with energy recuperation system and Audi valvelift system for 2.0 TFSI
- Seven-speed dual clutch S tronic
- Servotronic speed-sensitive steering
- quattro all-wheel drive; sport differential for variable distribution of power to the rear wheels as an option for 3.0 TDI
- Balanced axle load distribution, lightweight construction suspension
- 17-inch aluminium wheels standard on 2.0 TFSI, with 18-inch on 3.0 TDI
- Optional Audi drive select dynamic control system, adaptive shock absorber control, dynamic steering and sport differential available as options
- New segment for A5 range: Sportback body concept
- Sporty, elegant design with flowing lines
- Large luggage compartment with two-piece cover
- 480 to 980 litres of luggage space
- Generously spacious interior with easy entry thanks to 5 doors
- Seating for 4 adults in comfort
Equipment and trim
- Comprehensive and comfortable standard equipment with luxurious options
- State-of-the-art assistance systems available as options
- Powerful MMI navigation system
- 2.0 TFSI priced at $78,400 (manufacturer’s list price MLP)
- 3.0 TDI priced at $89,100 MLP
- A5 Sportback brochure (1.6mb PDF)
- 2.0 TFSI quattro tech specs (28kb PDF)
- 3.0 TDI quattro tech specs (32kb PDF)