The Rennlist forum is a great knowledge-base for all things Porsche. It can also be a great source for some accurate inside info. We can’t vouch for the accuracy of the following info, but if correct it appears the next Porsche 911 GT3 could change the game somewhat, insofar as the pure GT3 template is concerned.
Here’s a list of expected features of the 991 GT3 as posted by “rosenbergendo”, a current GT3 owner who claims to have secured the info from a senior Porsche motorsport employee at the recent Daytona 24 hour race:
- 4.0 litre motor with 480hp (45hp more than 3.8 litre in current GT3).
- Engine to be mounted further forward, improving chassis balance and essentially making this a mid-engine car in everything but name.
- Double clutch PDK transmission available as an option, to be known as PDK-S.
- Expected weight loss of 80-90kg over current model.
- No hybrid technology will be sourced from GT3 R Hybrid.
The PDK and engine placement info will be sure to upset the purest of pure Porsche GT3 nuts. That’s if they have managed to overcome the loss of the GT1-based “Mezger” engine block.