Subaru has given a public debut to two special Impreza WRX STI models at the Tokyo Motor Show—the S206 and S206 NBR Challenge Package (pictured above).
Only available for sale in Japan, and in strictly limited numbers, the S206 duo have been tuned to offer 235kW/431Nm. There will be just 300 S206 models built, which includes a maximum of 100 NBR models. As it happens the NBR Challenge Package—built to honour the company’s success at the Nürburgring 24 hour race—has already reached its maximum, with 100 pre-orders already confirmed by Subaru.
In addition to the engine, suspension and cosmetic mods already introduced to the S206, the NBR adds a carbon fibre roof, adjustable rear spoiler and lightweight 19″ BBS cast aluminium wheels.
It’s a shame these are JDM models only and no surprise the NBR package has already sold out.
STI to introduce the SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI “S206”
Tokyo, November 24, 2011 – Subaru Tecnica International Inc. (STI)*1 is pleased to announce the launch of the SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI “S206”, special performance edition. The model will go on sale today through Subaru dealerships in Japan.
Based on the 4-door SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI, S206 is the newest model in STI’s “S” series. This series dons the crown of STI tuned cars with advanced driving performance and exclusively-made items in both interior and exterior designs. As with former STI models such as S204 and R205, S206 is founded on the IMPREZA WRX STI line.
In addition, “NBR CHALLENGE PACKAGE” model will be released to commemorate the class win*2 at 24 Hours Nürburgring endurance race held in June, with the addition of a carbon roof and original dry carbon rear spoiler. The exterior design incorporates racing car motifs and has an enhanced sporty feel.
S206’s body and engine were tuned to perform as expected of STI’s best model. The body employs exclusive Bilstein shock absorbers, STI coil springs, a flexible tower bar (front), and a flexible draw stiffener (front). While improving straight-driving performance, motion is steadied when going into corners so that precise and quick turning is possible. Plus, “Michelin Pilot Super Sport” tires provide refined driving comfort in combination with “BBS” 19-inch aluminum wheels made only for this model.
In the exclusively-made engine, the weight balance between piston, connecting rod, and crankshaft is optimized to enhance the rev feel. Along with a ball bearing turbocharger, ECU (Engine Control Unit) with STI tuning, and a sports muffler with lowered back pressure exhaust – all of which were designed for this model – the engine can deliver 235kW (320PS) in maximum output and 431N.m (44kg.m) in maximum torque. The accelerator response is heightened and low to mid range torque increased, thereby offering better driveability.
On the outside, the lower front spoiler and front fender outlet grille, both designed for this model, and the trunk spoiler are among its distinctive features. The newly-made front grille and side garnishes were also employed for aerodynamics improvement and a high grade appearance.
In the interior are exclusively-made items such as a genuine leather-wrapped steering wheel, “RECARO” racing bucket seats, and seatbelts. Together they create a refined appearance and feel, appropriate for this flagship model.
*1: Subaru Tecnica International Inc. (STI; President Hiroyuki Karamatsu; located in Mitaka, Tokyo)
*2: Class SP3T
Major equipment of Subaru Impreza S206
- STI tuned Bilstein upside down strut and STI coil springs for front suspension
- STI tuned Bilstein damper and STI coil springs for rear suspension
- S206 BBS designed 19-inch x 8 1/2J forged aluminum wheels (silver)
- Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/35ZR19(93Y) tires
- Brembo 6-pot silver colored brake caliper with STI logo and 18-inch 2piece type drilled disk rotors for front brake
- Brembo 4-pot silver colored brake caliper with STI logo and 18-inch drilled disk rotors for rear brake
- STI designed flexible front strut tower brace
- STI designed flexible draw stiffener, front
- STI designed flexible support, rear
- STI designed support, front kit
- STI designed lateral rink with pillow ball bush (front inside, rear inside)
- S206 engine balanced with STI
- STI designed S206 ECU (Engine Control Unit)
- S206 twin scroll ball bearing turbocharger
- STI designed S206 sport muffler with lowered back pressure exhaust
- Large intercooler with S206 logo
- STI designed strengthened silicon intake duct
- STI designed air cleaner element
- S206 multi mode VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control)
- S206 RECARO designed front bucket seat
- S206 seat fabric, ALCANTARA® with black punching / red base, leather seat support (dark gray) with silver stitch
- S206 door trim & centered arm rest (black ALCANTARA® with silver stitch)
- S206 dark red colored seat belt
- S206 silver side sill plate with S206 logo (front)
- S206 leather lapped steering wheel with STI logo and silver stitch
- STI designed leather shift knob with STI logo and leather shift boot
- S206 leather side brake boot
- STI designed push engine start switch (red with STI logo)
- S206 serial number plate (console, engine compartment)
- S206 large front under spoiler
- S206 front fender outlet grille
- Aluminum front hood
- STI designed trunk lip spoiler
- S206 badges on front grille and rear gate
- STI designed side garnish with STI logo (black metallic)
- Exclusive for NBR CHALLENGE PACKAGE
- Carbon roof
- S206 dry carbon rear spoiler (2 angle adjustable with S206 logo)
- BBS designed 19-inch x 8 1/2J cast aluminum wheels (black)
- S206 Nürburgring Challenge sticker (rear)
- S206 red side sill plate with S206 logo (front)
- Maximum 300 units (must be pre-ordered by May 7, 2012)
- Including maximum 100 units of NBR CHALLENGE PACKAGE that must be pre-ordered by March 19, 2012
- Pre-orders for the “NBR CHALLENGE PACKAGE” have reached the limit for units available.
- Exterior color “Lightning Red” must be ordered by February 6, 2012