TopGear is telling us they have the scoop on the Golf VII GTI, which they reckon is due to be revealed later this year. If true, the most likely date would be the Paris Motor Show. That’s when the garden variety Golf is scheduled to debut and it would be unusual to show the GTI at the same time. So we won’t be surprised if we’re not seeing the next GTI in any official capacity until 2013.
Anyway, we’ve summarised the key features reported for the new GTI in dotpoint form. Follow the source link below if you want more.
- Greater separation between Mk7 GTI and other Golf models
- Patented welding process allows for aluminium roof on GTI, while using same production line as steel-roofed models
- Weight saving for GTI expected to be around 100kg (regular Golfs to lose 70kg)
- 2.0 TSI engine to feature Audi’s valvelift system for greater torque
- Peak numbers around 165–175kW/350Nm (up from 155kW/280Nm)
- MQB platform allows front axle to move 40mm forward, which should offer improved handling balance
- Electronically controlled mechanical limited-slip diff for better grip
- More direct steering rack
- Forward facing cameras for advanced safety features like automatic cruise control, automatic braking and lane assist