BMW Australia is busy burning rubber on Phillip Island to celebrate the local launch of the F10 M5. Well, when pricing for the car starts at $230,000 what’s a few grand on some rear tyres?
In case you’ve forgotten the new M5 has a 4.4 litre twin turbo V8 that snarls its way to 412kW/680Nm. That’s the most powerful production model to wear an M badge. There’s also a 7-speed DCT gearbox and an Active M differential.
But is track work really the M5’s bag, or is it more of a luxury cruiser with a few tricks up its sleeve? Check out our Tried & Tested reader review to find out.
There’s a short and snappy press release after the break, along with more pics, of course. If you want more meat in your press guff then make sure you download the Australian press kit as well.
Sledgehammer Time: The New BMW M5
The fastest, most powerful M car yet
- Fifth generation of the world’s most successful performance sedan
- Most powerful series production engine ever in a BMW M car
- New high-revving turbo-charged V8 engine – power up by 10 per cent, torque up by 30 per cent yet fuel consumption down by 30 per cent
- Seven-speed M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic featuring new Low Speed Assistance
- New Active M differential for track-car dynamics and supreme touring comfort
- Two M Drive buttons for alternate, pre-defined handling characteristics
For more than 25 years the BMW M5 Sedan has defined the high-performance Sedan segment, in the process becoming the most successful car of its type in the world. Now a new fifth-generation model raises the concept of the premium executive Sedan combining track-car dynamics and supreme touring comfort to an even higher level.
The M5 features the most potent engine ever developed for a BMW production car together with race-bred chassis technology that includes, for the first time, an Active M differential.
Based on BMW’s highly successful 5 Series Sedan, the exterior design of the M5 follows the technical requirements of the car, while the interior offers an extensive range of innovative driver assistance systems and premium comfort features.
The new M5 Sedan will be available in Australia from February 2012, priced from $230,000 (Incl. GST & LCT)
- BMW M5 Australian press kit (755kb PDF)