Starting with a 2012-build car the first change is to bring Project Alpha up to 2013 specification. Then they are adorned with a selection of cosmetic enhancements. Aside from the change to 2013-spec there are no performance modifications.
Cosmetic enhancements include:
- Gloss black roof
- Gloss black front splitter
- Louvered front wings
- Rear deck gloss black painted
- Gloss black GT3 graphic (rear)
- Carbon fibre air exits (rear)
- Gloss black light weight and diamond cut alloys wheels
- Branded floor mats featuring milled badge
- Brushed stainless steel ‘Project Alpha’ badge
- Black alcantara cluster cover
- Black alcantara grips on steering wheel
- Carbon fibre steering wheel inserts
The existence of the Project Alpha cars was tipped off to the Autoblog and Jalopnik websites. Michele Shapiro, Public Relations Manager for McLaren North America, confirmed the tip off with Autoblog: “These are cars commissioned by our Chicago dealer in response to customer demand using options from the existing McLaren Special Operations catalogue,” Shapiro said.
“MSO offers a specialization service that varies from trim and bodywork changesâ€”as witnessed by this carâ€”to a whole new car, for example the X-1 project recently shown at The Quail in Monterey, California.”