Perez fastest on Day 2 in Barcelona
Sergio Perez is finding his new digs at McLaren to his liking after putting the MP4-28 in the spotlight in Barcelona overnight.
The Mexican ace set the fastest time in testing on a one lap dash in the afternoon (1:21.848), which was posted on Soft compound tyres.
Once again Sebatsian Vettel and Red Bull were the team to beat in the morning (1:22.197), only to be pipped for the day’s best time in the afternoon session.
Kimi Raikkonen ate ice cream and watched his Lotus mechanics faff about with his gearbox in the morning before being rudely awoken to run 43 laps in the latter part of the day. He still managed the third fastest time (1:22.697).
It’s interesting to note the times from Day 2 are more spread out than yesterday’s, which saw Nico Rosberg head a quarter spread by only 0.35s.
There’s no comments from Perez on McLaren’s official test report, but the team, statement explained the day like this:
“As usual, the morning kicked off with a series of shorter runs, aimed at gaining the engineers a better understanding of the carâ€™s track-to-tunnel aero correlation and its reaction to a series of mechanical set-up changes.
“Into the afternoon, the team ran through a number of longer runs â€“ these were aimed at providing Sergio with a better understanding of the methods and systems that will be used by the race team during a race weekend, including cockpit switch adjustments and understanding radio messaging.”
2013 F1 pre-season testing â€“ Barcelona I (Day 2)
- Sergio Perez McLaren â€“ 1:21.848 (97 laps)
- Sebastian Vettel Red Bull â€“ 1:22.197 +0.349 (84 laps)
- Kimi Raikkonen Lotus â€“ 1:22.697 +0.849 (43 laps)
- Lewis Hamilton Mercedes â€“ 1:22.726 +0.878 (121 laps)
- Fernando Alonso Ferrari â€“ 1:23.247 +1.399 (76 laps)
- Valtteri Bottas Williams â€“ 1:23.561 +1.713 (98 laps)
- Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso â€“ 1:23.718 +1.870 (70 laps)
- Paul di Resta Force India â€“ 1:23.971 +2.123 (62 laps)
- Nico Hulkenberg Sauber â€“ 1:24.205 +2.357 (88 laps)
- Max Chilton Marussia â€“ 1:25.115 +3.267 (67 laps)
- Charles Pic Caterham â€“ 1:26.243 +4.395 (102 laps)
All timing unofficial