2014 Audi S3 Sportback â€“ Australian pricing & specs
We’ve known for several months that Audi Australia will be pricing the new S3 Sportback from $59,900. That’s a huge price drop compared with the outgoing 8P model which was over $70K list in its final form, with much less equipment than the new model too. And now the all-new S3 Sportback is here, in showrooms across the country and ready for delivery.
After initially thinking the 206kW/380Nm S3 would struggle against more powerful and faster competition from BMW and Mercedes-Benz we’ve discovered through anecdotal evidence that plenty of buyers are seeing value in the new S3.
We lament that Australia won’t be getting the S3 in three-door form and that a 6-speed manual is a “no-cost” option. And losing 15kW due to Australia’s designation as a “hot climate” country seems a bit annoying when BMW and Mercedes don’t cobble their performance products. But we can’t really argue with the S3’s performance and standard equipment wrapped up in a sub-$60K list price.
Full details from Audi can be found after the break, including Australian press info.
The Blistering New Audi S3 Sportback has Arrived in Australia
- Accessible premium performance, for only $59,900
- Extraordinary dynamics, exceptional quality of finish
- 2.0 TFSI quattro with 206kW/380Nm powers to 100km/h in 5.0 sec
Australia, December 13 2013: The new benchmark for affordable premium performance has arrived in Australia.
Never before has this kind of dynamism, quality of finish and outstanding specification been available to Australian premium sports car buyers at such an affordable price.
Powered by a new 2.0 TFSI engine that develops a formidable 206kW and 380Nm, the new S3 Sportback will leap from rest to 100km/h in just 5.0sec. This kind of acceleration approaches supercar-like performance, and is typical of an Audi S model. Another characteristic is outstanding fuel efficiency, at just 6.9 litres per 100km.
The sporty six-speed S tronic dual-clutch transmission and quattro permanent all-wheel drive system combine to offer enthusiasts an incredible drive. A six-speed manual gearbox is also available as a no-cost option. Compared to its popular predecessor, this latest generation S3 Sportback is 70kg lighter â€“ a direct result of Audi ultra lightweight technology.
â€œThe new S3 Sportback sets a benchmark for compact premium performance â€“ it is a sensational package,â€ said Audi Australiaâ€™s Managing Director Andrew Doyle.
â€œNot only does the new S3 Sportback deliver exceptional performance, but it is equipped with all the sophisticated features expected in a luxury vehicle. This car will change the way enthusiasts view the premium â€˜hot hatchâ€™ market. Our positioning for this third-generation S3 Sportback makes progressive performance more accessible than ever before.â€
Despite the lean price tag, the Audi S3 Sportback features a hefty list of standard equipment, including:
- Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights and LED tail lights
- MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch
- Audi parking system plus: park assist, front & rear sensors with rear view camera
- 18-inch alloy wheels in 5-parallel spoke design
- â€˜Sâ€™ specific body kit
- â€˜Sâ€™ exhaust system with quad tailpipes
- â€˜Sâ€™ sports suspension
- Sport seats in fine Nappa leather, with electric seat adjustment and heating for front seats
- Audi Music Interface, Bluetooth interface with music streaming
- Dual-zone climate control with digital display and rear air vents
- Leather-wrapped, multi-function flat-bottom steering wheel
- Convenience key
Also available for the new S3 Sportback is the S performance package, for $4,990, which combines a host of highly desirable features for drivers who want the maximum from their vehicle. The package includes:
- LED headlights
- Bang & Olufsen sound system
- Audi magnetic ride
- â€˜Sâ€™ sports seats in fine Nappa leather with diamond stitching
- 18-inch alloy wheels in parallel-spoke â€˜starâ€™ design
- Front and rear brake calipers in S design red
The S3 Sportback is now officially on-sale in Australia.
- S3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI quattro S tronic 206kW 380Nm â€“ $59,900
- S3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI quattro manual 206kW 380Nm â€“ $59,900
*(Manufacturer List Pricing (MLP) â€“ excludes registration, dealer delivery and government statutory charges)
At a glance â€“ The new Audi S3
- Redesigned 2.0 TFSI with 206 kW output and 380 Nm of torque
- 0 to 100 km/h in 5.0 seconds, consumption 6.9 litres per 100 km (with S tronic)
- Sportily sonorous sound, highly cultivated
- Six-speed manual transmission or six-speed S tronic
- quattro permanent all-wheel drive with standard redesigned plate clutch
- 18-inch wheels, brakes with S3 badge
- Dynamically tuned S sport suspension
- Audi drive select, on request Audi magnetic ride adaptive dampers
- Progressive steering with steering rack with progressive gearing
- Aluminium front suspension components, four-link rear suspension
Design and body
- Specific front and rear aprons and sills, length 4.25 metres
- Large rear roof spoiler, four oval tail pipes and other S3 Sportback specific modifications
- Xenon plus headlights standard, optionally LED headlights
- Occupant cell has large share of high-end steel, engine hood and fenders made of aluminium
- 70kg lighter than previous model due to ultra lightweight construction, kerb weight just 1,425 kg (manual transmission)
- Generous standard equipment, optional full-LED headlights
- Optional high-performance driver assistance systems, including adaptive cruise control, park assist, and Audi pre sense basic
- MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch as standard
- S3 Sportback Australian press kit (150kb PDF)
- S3 Sportback Australian specifications (1mb PDF)
- S3 Sportback tech specs (30kb PDF)