BMW is all excited about this crazy looking coupe, sedan, sportscar, electric powered, diesel, ActiveHybrid thingy. Otherwise known as the Vision EfficientDynamics, the car is a portal to BMW’s goal towards a sustainable and efficient future.
In the clip above you will see and hear a bunch of BMW Execs wax lyrical about their new creation.
Some of the numbers are noteworthy, for example, 0-100km/h in under 5 seconds, fuel consumption under 4l/100km and 262kW/800Nm.
However, others are less so, zero emissions drive with all electric power has a feeble range of 50km. Under hybrid power the CO2 emissions from the diesel engine look okay at first, but really, for a car that is a leader for what is to follow, you might expect a better figure than 99g/km.
One thing the car does well, though, is look sensational. It’s hard to judge if it has any semblance of reality to it, so just enjoy it as a concept car and if, in 30 years time, all cars look like this, then all the merrier!
There’s a press release below and a full wallpaper-friendly image gallery
will be has been added.
BMW Vision EfficientDynamics
- High-performance concept study with BMW ActiveHybrid technology visualising the dynamic performance typical of a BMW against the backdrop of future demands in sustained mobility. BMW Vision EfficientDynamics as a symbol for the future of Sheer Driving Pleasure in harmony with trendsetting efficiency.
- Development aim: The performance of a BMW M Car and a highly emotional character combined with the fuel economy and emission management of a modern small car in the premium class. As a result, this unique sports car offers the most consistent rendition of the BMW EfficientDynamics development strategy.
- Innovative approach in the context of BMW EfficientDynamics: The exceedingly good balance of CO2 emission management and driving pleasure results from a revolutionary vehicle concept developed all in one from the ground up, achieving a new level of efficiency combined with a unique driving experience. The overall result goes far beyond the sum total of the individual features and components in this concept car.
- BMW Vision EfficientDynamics offers a realistic impression of the unique potential of BMW ActiveHybrid technology and the great innovative thrust of BMW EfficientDynamics.
- Offering a full-hybrid concept, the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics concept car is powered by a three-cylinder turbodiesel and two electric motors. Overall system output is 262 kW/356 hp, maximum torque 800 Newton-metres/590 lb-ft. All-wheel drive featuring an electric motor on both the front and rear axle.
- Anticipated performance: Acceleration from a standstill to 100 km/h in 4.8 seconds, top speed 250 km/h (155 mph) (electronically limited) , fuel consumption in the EU test cycle 3.76 litres/100 km (equal to 75.1 mph imp), CO2 emissions 99 grams/kilometre.
- As a plug-in hybrid, BMW Vision EfficientDynamics is able to cover the entire fuel consumption drive cycle under electric power alone. Taking the sources of energy used for generating the electric power consumed into account (EU electricity mix), this reduces the CO2 emission rating to just 50 grams per kilometre.
- Electric power is generated without the slightest increase in fuel consumption through a particularly efficient concept of Brake Energy Regeneration. Energy is stored in 98 lithium polymer cells. The car is able to cover a distance of approximately 50 km/31 miles in the electric mode alone.
- Aerodynamics developed with know-how from Formula 1. CX drag coefficient optimised to just 0.22. Forward-looking energy management uses the maximum potential available in each case to minimise fuel consumption.
- Technology-oriented body design as a clear expression of consistent lightweight technology and aerodynamic quality. Design language typical of the brand, setting clear signals in terms of sporting performance and optimum efficiency.
- The 2+2-seater concept combines dynamic performance and supreme efficiency with an enhanced level of all-round function. BMW Vision EfficientDynamics symbolises BMWâ€™s commitment to offer an unprecedented driving experience for up to four occupants.
- BMW Vision EfficientDynamics comes with gullwing doors opening up to the side. Innovative, weight-optimised door kinematics makes entering the car at both front and rear convenient and very easy.
- The interior of this unique 2+2-seater intentionally demonstrates the very latest in modern technology. At the same time the use of natural materials underlines BMWâ€™s strategy of sustainability borne out through this concept car.
- The roof and door inserts made of polycarbonate glass automatically become darker as a function of incoming light.