The new Volkswagen Golf R is being rolled out across Australian dealerships this weekend. The thirst for more information on the car is high. While pricing and specifications have been announced that may not be enough for some R fans. After the jump you can read the full and detailed press release for the Golf R sent out by Volkswagen Australia.
The New Golf R
THE TSI OF THE GOLF R
The new Golf R’s turbocharger makes it very flexible and variable right up to the highest end of the performance curve. The engine’s power can be spontaneously summoned in the blink of an eye over its entire speed range. As mentioned, the engine also shows off its potential acoustically. And visually too, its two chrome tailpipes are visible under the diffuser integrated at the centre of the bumper – an “R trait” of the previous model as well.
The four-cylinder engine develops its tremendous propulsive power via a turbocharger (up to 1.2 bar boost pressure atmospheric) with intercooling and controlled by a fully electronic engine management system. The cylinders of the four cylinder engine have been equipped with reinforcing bolts, and stronger connecting rods have been designed that can reliably transfer the engine’s high torque to the crankshaft. Last but not least, the cylinder block has also been reinforced to handle the powerful engine forces.
THE NEW ALL-WHEEL DRIVE OF THE GOLF R
The Golf R transfers power to the road via the latest generation of Volkswagen’s 4MOTION all-wheel drive system, which comes as standard. Compared to the version implemented in the Golf R32, the system has undergone significant advanced development. Above all, the power transmission between the front and rear axles – especially the all-wheel differential that operates in an oil bath – demonstrates clear advantages compared to the previous generation. The most important development is that of the activation of the all-wheel differential which no longer requires a difference between the front and rear axle speeds.
That is because, and this is different than on the previous generation, an electric pump is being used to build pressure for the first time. The electric pump supplies oil to a hydraulic reservoir with a working pressure of 30 bar. A control module computes the ideal drive torque for the rear axle, and it uses a valve to control how much oil pressure is applied to the working pistons of the multi-plate clutch. The contact pressure at the clutch plates rises in proportion to the desired torque at the rear axle. The amount of torque that is transferred can be varied continuously by the amount of pressure applied to the clutch plates. Unlike the previous 4MOTION generation, the system operates independent of slip, since the system’s working pressure is always available. When starting up and accelerating, spinning of the wheels at the front axle is prevented more effectively, since the control module regulates torque distribution based on dynamic axle loads. In extreme cases, nearly 100 percent of the drive torque can be directed to the rear axle, delivering dynamic performance.
SPORT CHASSIS OF THE GOLF R
When it came to the running gear, development engineers adopted the first-class system of the current production Golf. Here the front is recognized by the familiar MacPherson strut suspension with helical springs and telescoping shock absorbers, and at the rear, a multi-link suspension ensures that the standard ESP system seldom needs to intervene. The basic layout was transformed into a sport chassis with ride-height lowered 25 millimetres, and the springs, dampers and stabilisers were completely re-tuned to this new configuration. Also available as an option is the Adaptive Chassis Control whose character has been fully tuned to the Golf R. This system continually adapts suspension damping to the roadway and driving situation, where the driver manually can select between three damper settings – NORMAL, COMFORT and SPORT.
The brake system was also modified for the Golf R’s higher level of driving performance. The brakes all have internally ventilated discs and R-specific brake callipers painted a highgloss black with R-logo. In front, the discs are 345 millimetres in diameter and 310 millimetres at the rear. The electromechanical power-assisted steering was given a sportier characteristic as well. As such, if the Golf R is ordered with an optional Adaptive Chassis Control, the power-assisted steering is given a specially tuned characteristic for each of the system’s driving modes (NORMAL, COMFORT and SPORT).
The running gear maintains its contact with the road via new 18-inch alloy wheels (“Talladega”) with 225/40 tyres as standard equipment. The same style wheels are available in a 19-inch silver or black version with 235/35 tyres as an option. Regardless of the colour, when 19-inch wheels are selected the headlight housings always appear completely in black. Golf R windows are tinted from the B-pillars back.
EXTERIOR FEATURES OF THE GOLF R
The new Golf R also sports an entirely new set of exterior and interior features. The Golf R clearly represents the peak of the model series, and the quality of its styling follows the basic design language of “La Semplicità” set forth by the Head of Group Design, Walter de Silva.
Outside, it is customised by features such as the new “Talladega” style wheels, black brake callipers with R-logo and new bumper design. In front, three very large air intakes shape the front bumper section of the Golf R where louvres on the intakes are painted in high-gloss black, and standard LED strips that serve as daytime running lights are integrated in the two outer air intakes. Also painted in high-gloss black are the two louvres of the radiator grille. On the right side of the grille, a new R-logo design appears in chrome and Bi-Xenon headlights with dynamic cornering lights, included at no extra charge, illuminate the way through the night.
On its sides, the Golf R is recognisable by side skirt extensions in body colour and mirror housings painted in high-gloss black. The Golf R can be clearly made out as an independent top model at the rear as well. Here the rear lights, a new design, stands out along with the bumper with diffuser, the centrally positioned tailpipes, and distinctive R-logo. The larger roof edge spoilers are instantly noticeable as well and operate with standard LED technology that is visually distinctive, exhibits extremely quick response as well as being long life.
INTERIOR FEATURES OF THE GOLF R
The sixth generation Golf, with its high-end interior materials, breaks through class distinctions to the next higher class. The Golf R benefits from this quality image too with its performance alone putting it in a league of its own. Nonetheless, additional special upgrades developed by Volkswagen Individual highlight the car’s high-end positioning. A key equipment option here is the newly designed “Top sport seat system” that have excellent ergonomic properties. The driver just sits down, adjusts the longitudinal and height positions of the seat, adjusts the steering wheel, buckles up, and is ready to go. The seat fits as though it were tailor-made. Here, the Golf R − together with the Golf GTI and Golf GTD − is setting standards among the international competition. The centre panels of the sport seats are upholstered in the honeycomb textured grey-black “Kyalami” design (named after the race course of the same name in South Africa), and the front edge of the seat is upholstered in Titan Black fabric. The inside panels of the side supports are upholstered with crystal-grey “San Remo” micro-fibres and the rest of the seat components and the roofliner are coloured black. The new R-logo is embroidered in the front head restraints and motorsport shell seats for driver and front passenger are available as an option. In this case, the shell seats have integrated head restraints with embroidered R-logos, and the centre seat panels are upholstered in the “San Remo” microfibre fabric and upholstered with black leather.
All seams of the interior are in “Art Grey” with the exception of the Motorsport shell seats. As are the decorative seams of the standard multi-function three-spoke leather steering wheel. At the top and bottom of the steering wheel, perforated leather is used, ensuring maximum hand grip.
The sides of the steering wheel with their ergonomic motorsport attributes are fully trimmed in leather. Spokes in fine black piano paint add an elegant aspect that finishes the sporty image. The centre steering wheel spoke bears the R-logo and the fascinating material contrast of piano paint and chrome conveys the passion for finesse and precision in every detail of the interior. Also re-styled are the R gearshift knob, carpet f loor mats with piping in “Art Grey”, aluminium door tread plates with R-logo and the instruments with their blue pointers and a speedometer scale that reads up to 300 km/h. Stainless steel sport pedals and R-specific instrument and door accents in “Silver Lane” styling round out the custom features. Standard equipment on the Golf R also includes an automatic climate control system (“Climatronic”) and the “RCD 510” radio-CD system with 6 1/2 inch touch screen display and MP3 compatible SD card slot.
OVERVIEW OF STANDARD FEATURES
Exterior and wheels
- Body coloured bumpers and door handles
- Black gloss painted exterior rear view mirrors
- Body coloured lower front spoiler and rear roof spoiler
- Metallic / Pearl Effect paint finish
- Lower air intakes and radiator grille with gloss black grille inserts
- Lowered sports suspension, specific to model
- Darkened rear tail light clusters
- Dual exposed chrome exhaust tail pipes, centre
- Rear bumper with black diffuser, unique design by model
- Widened side sill panels in body colour
- Alloy Wheels (Talladega) 18×71/2” with 225/40 R18 tyres (4)
- Anti-theft wheel bolts
- Low tyre pressure indicator
- Aluminium finish clutch, accelerator and brake pedals
- ‘Silver Lane’ inserts in dashboard and doors
- Brushed chrome trim on instrument cluster, vent surrounds and gearshift lever surround
- Chrome trim on headlight switch and front reading light surround
- Door sill scuff plates, front with R logo
- Gearshift knob in leather
- Steering wheel, gearshift gaiter and handbrake grip with decorative stitching Top sports seats with additional side bolstering
- Motorsport style front seats in ‘San Remo’ Microfibre (Optional)
- Easy entry front seat backrest release function (3 door)
- 3 spoke leather rimmed flat bottomed sports steering wheel with piano black inserts
- Gearshift paddles (with DSG)
- ‘Kyalami’ sports cloth / ‘San Remo’ mircofibre combination seats
- Vienna leather appointed seat upholstery (Optional)
- Front and rear, carpet mats
- Front, front side, curtain (front & rear) and driver’s knee bag
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Brake Assist
- Electronic Brake-pressure Distribution (EBD)
- Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR) traction control
- Electronic Stabilisation Program (ESP)
- Front safety optimised head restrains
- AM/FM security coded radio (RCD510) with 61/2” touch screen display, MP3 compatible SD card slot and 6 disc CD changer (in dash)
- Automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror
- Daytime driving lights, LED strips mounted in front bumper
- Multi-Function Display (MFD Plus) – Large format display with audio and convenience menus in addition to MFD functionality
- Dual zone automatic (2 modes) climate control with indirect ventilation mode
- Air quality sensor with automatic air recirculation
OVERVIEW OF OPTIONAL FEATURES
Exterior and wheels
- Adaptive chassis control
- Alloy wheels (Talladega) 19×8” with 235/35 R19 tyres (4)
- Alloy wheels (Talladega Black) 19×8” with 235/35 R19 tyres (4)
- Vienna leather appointed upholstery combination.
- Motorsport style seats. [Motorsport seats are not equipped with front side airbags, adjustable head restraints, lumbar adjustment or seatback pockets].
- Electric adjustment for driver’s seat, 8-way. Electric driver’s seat adjustment is only available for the 5 door model combination with optional leather appointed seat upholstery.
- Rear View Camera (RVC) with static guidance lines.
- Dynaudio Excite premium audio system 300W digital amplifier with 8 speakers (4 mid-range and bass, 4 treble).
- Media Device Interface (MDI) – compatible with iPod®, USB and mini USB. Fitted in the centre console and supplied with USB connection cable. Volkswagen Genuine Accessory iPod®, mini USB and auxiliary input connection cables sold separately.
- Satellite navigation system (RNS510). High-resolution touch screen display in 16:9 format, 3D map views, voice control for navigation and radio functions, integrated 30GB hard drive and SD card slot, DVD drive for the playback of audio CD/MP3 and video DVD in conjunction with large format Multi-Function Display (MFD Plus) with satellite navigation, audio and convenience menus
- Electric glass sunroof, slide and tilt adjustable with sunblind
- Illuminated vanity mirrors and rear passenger reading lights
- 6 speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) with sport mode and Tiptronic function.
Golf R – Australian pricing & specifications
- 3 Door 6 Speed Manual – $48,490*
- 3 Door 6 Speed DSG – $50,990*
- 5 Door 6 Speed Manual – $49,990*
- 5 Door 6 Speed DSG – $52,490*
- Electric Glass Sunroof – $1,900
- Talladega 19″ alloy wheels in Silver or Black (4) – $1,300
- Dynaudio Excite 300W Audio – $1,300
- Satellite Navigation RNS510 – $2,500
- RNS510 with Dynauido Excite – $3,500
- Rear View Camera (RVC) (with RCD510, RNS510 or Dynaudio) – $500
- Media Device Interface (MDI) – $270
- Vienna Leather Upholstery – $3,300
- Motorsport Front Seats, Mirco Fibre/Leather Upholstery – $5,300
- Electric Driver’s Seat (only with Leather & 5 door) – $600
- Adaptive Chassis Control – $1,500
* Prices are manufacturer list prices only, for the drive away price please contact your local authorised Volkswagen dealer.