The new Volkswagen Passat has just been released in Australia. There’s three models on offer, all available in sedan and wagon configuration. Pre on-road pricing for the sedan models start at $38,990 for the 118TSI, $43,990 for the 125TDI and $57,990 for the V6 FSI featuring 4motion. Add an extra $2000 if you want the added cargo space offered in the wagon.
There’s some impressive technology featured with the new Passat. It’s all stuff we’ve seen before in more expensive marques, but seeing such things as Fatigue Detection, Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control and City Emergency Braking filter down to more affordable models is welcomed.
Full details from Volkswagen Australia can be read after the break.
The New Passat â€“ 15 Million Bestseller Is More Impressive, Safe And Fuel Efficient
- First Volkswagen with fatigue detection and City Emergency Braking function.
- At 5.7 l/100 km combined fuel consumption, the most fuel-efficient Passat ever.
With over 15 million cars sold, the Passat by Volkswagen is one of the most successful automobiles in the world. Now there is a new Passat. It is the seventh generation since 1973. The styling of the bestseller was completely re-interpreted, and its front is more impressive than ever. Furthermore, the Passat has always mirrored the course of technological progress. And this applies unreservedly to the seventh Passat, which will launch simultaneously as a sedan and wagon. The overall range of technological innovations now implemented in the Passat 118TSI and Passat Highline variants has reached a scale previously found only in luxury class cars.
An innovative feature in this class is the fatigue detection system that is offered on the Passat. The system is a standard feature across the range. The Passat also has an optional City Emergency Braking function (City EB). The assistance system is part of the further refined optional ACC adaptive cruise control plus Front Assist. The City EB function, active below a speed of 30 km/h, also reacts to stationary vehicles; if necessary, it automatically initiates a braking manoeuvre, thereby contributing to avoidance of an impending front end collision or at least minimising the resulting damage.
The Passat â€œseesâ€ parking spaces parallel and perpendicular to the road, and upon request it can automatically steer the car into the space with centimetre precision (Park Assist 2).
The technologies and the further improved workmanship and material quality is differentiating the Passat from its competitors more than ever. This quality is perceptible in the interior with its high-end materials, new seats and door trims and ambience lighting. An especially elegant effect is produced by the modified centre console and redesigned accents in the instruments that are visually appealing and pleasing to the touch.
The new Passat is extremely quiet. The reason: Insulating materials specifically integrated in the dashboard area and doors filter out exterior and engine noises. In addition, a new acoustic film is embedded in the front windscreen; this film blocks out additional noise.
Progress has been made in the area of safety as well. The previous model already attained 5 stars in ANCAP crash testing. Further advances include features such as seatbelt fastening detection for the rear seats and head restraints that now also adjust horizontally on the front seats. The new head restraints for driver and front passenger reduce the risk of whiplash injury in a traffic accident.
Last but not least, the new Passat sets standards when it comes to sustainability. All three engines are more fuel efficient – by up to 12 percent! Technologies such as the Start/Stop system also ensure the best fuel economy for the TDI diesel engine. It is worth noting that each model is a safe, comfortable and powerful touring vehicle. Only, they are also very low emitting, fuel efficient and blessed with extremely long driving ranges.
The New Passat â€“ Pricing*
- Passat 118TSI 7-Speed DSG â€“ $38,990
- Passat 125TDI Highline 6-Speed DSG â€“ $43,990
- Passat V6 FSI Highline 6-Speed DSG â€“ $55,990
- Passat 118TSI Wagon 7-Speed DSG â€“ $40,990
- Passat 125TDI Highline Wagon 6-Speed DSG â€“ $45,990
- Passat V6 FSI Highline Wagon 6-Speed DSG â€“ $57,990
- Metallic / Pearl Effect Paint â€“ $700
- Electric Glass Sunroof (Sedan models) â€“ $1,900
- Panoramic Electric Glass Sunroof (Wagon models) â€“ $2,000
- Park Assist 2 and Rear View Camera (RVC Plus) â€“ $1,300
- Satellite Navigation RNS510 with RVC Plus â€“ $3,000
- Satellite Navigation RNS510 with Park Assist 2 and RVC Plus â€“ $3,600
- Dynaudio 600W Premium Audio System â€“ $2,000
- Driver Assistance and Visibility Package (118TSI) â€“ $2,900
- Driver Assistance and Visibility Package (125TDI Highline & V6 FSI Highline) â€“ $2,600
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Front Assist and City EB â€“ $2,000
- Adaptive Chassis Control (Std V6 FSI Highline) â€“ $1,650
- Anti-theft Alarm System (Std V6 TSI Highline) â€“ $600
- Walnut Wood/Aluminium Interior Trim (125TDI Highline & V6 FSI Highline) â€“ $300
- Electric Front Seats with Memory (Std V6 FSI Highline) â€“ $1,500
- Integrated Child Booster Seats (2) (125TDI Highline & V6 FSI Highline) â€“ $850
- Automatic Opening & Closing Tailgate (Wagon models) â€“ $750
*Prices are manufacturer list prices only, for the drive away price please contact your local authorised Volkswagen dealer.