Today MINI has released official pics and detail about its new R58 Coupé model. The “helmet roof” and two-up seating are the most obvious differences from the bread and butter MINI hatch. This info comes just a couple of weeks after MINI gave us an official preview.
You can see from the pics below that the roof design has an almost sculptural feel in the way it integrates with the high-mount rear spoiler. Air is forced down to the bootlid spoiler which automatically raises at 80km/h. The Coupé is a bit front heavy so we suspect MINI has had to work hard to get more downforce over the rear axle.
Being a two-seater there is additional storage space behind the seats, as well as a cubby hole through to the rear luggage compartment. Inside the low roof line has been compensated for by scalloping the roof liner. We’re not so sure about how that looks and will reserve judgement until a later date. Taller drivers will no doubt approve of the feature.
The Coupé is built on the Cabriolet platform, which means stronger chassis components have been used. Add to this the brace running between the C-pillars and you have the stiffest MINI made to date. The downside of that is the Coupé weighs around a tank of fuel more than the hatch.
There are four model designations for the Coupé:
- MINI Cooper Coupé – 90kW/160Nm, 0-100km/h 9.0s
- MINI Cooper SD Coupé – 105kW/305Nm, 0-100km/h 7.9s
- MINI Cooper S Coupé – 135kW/240Nm (+ 20Nm overboost), 0-100km/h 6.9s
- MINI John Cooper Works Coupé – 155kW/260Nm (+ 20Nm overboost), 0-100km/h 6.4s
More pics and full details, including a detailed press release with technical specifications, are all yours after the break. We can expect the MINI Coupé to make its Australian debut towards the end of the year.
The MINI Coupé.
At a glance.
- MINI gives the small car segment another fascinating injection of variety with the presentation of the first two-seater in the brand’s current model range. The MINI Coupé represents the faithful transposition of the brand’s sporting DNA into a cutting-edge vehicle concept with a new interpretation of the super-compact sports car class; unrivalled handling agility and the best performance figures in the model portfolio.
- New expression of the distinctive MINI design with extremely high emotional appeal; unique proportions created by distinctive “helmet roof” design; extraordinarily sporty presence with sharply raked A-pillars; hallmark MINI structuring of body, wrap-around glass areas and superimposed roof; characteristic design principles and exclusive MINI details underline its brand identity.
- First “three-box” MINI with strikingly stepped rear end in the classic style of a gran turismo; sporty, flat coupé silhouette; sits up to 52 millimetres lower than the MINI; new, faithful expression of the hallmark MINI design language; distinctive roof form with optimised aerodynamic properties thanks to integrated roof spoiler; first MINI with an active rear spoiler to optimise airflow at higher speeds; rear spoiler extends automatically at 80 km/h (50 mph); MINI John Cooper Works Coupé with John Cooper Works aerodynamic kit as standard.
- Strict two-seater concept with extended stowage and loading capacity behind the driver and passenger seats; large, variable-use luggage area; large through-loading facility into the passenger compartment; wide and extremely high-opening tailgate makes loading easier.
- Latest generation of four-cylinder engines; most powerful petrol and diesel units in the MINI range; engine technology underpinned by the development expertise of the BMW Group / derived directly from motor sport; MINI John Cooper Works Coupé with 155 kW/211 hp, MINI Cooper S Coupé with 135 kW/184 hp, MINI Cooper Coupé with 90 kW/122 hp, MINI Cooper SD Coupé with 105 kW/143 hp; exceptional efficiency thanks to wide range of standard MINIMALISM technology; six-speed manual gearbox fitted as standard, six-speed automatic optional for MINI Cooper S Coupé, MINI Cooper Coupé and MINI Cooper SD Coupé.
- A chassis set-up, weight balance and body structure geared squarely to providing unbeatable driving fun gives the car’s go-kart feeling unrivalled depth; Electric Power Steering and DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) as standard, DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) with EDLC (Electronic Differential Lock Control) optional (standard on MINI John Cooper Works Coupé); innovative pedestrian protection systems and measures to enhance body rigidity shift the car’s weight balance slightly further forward, giving the front-wheel-drive MINI Coupé optimised traction; agility and safety boosted by increase in torsional rigidity using carefully targeted, model-specific strengthening elements.
- Interior design clearly emphasising two-seat layout; oval recesses in the roof liner provide extra headroom for the driver and front passenger; sports seats fitted as standard (MINI Cooper S Coupé, MINI Cooper SD Coupé, MINI John Cooper Works Coupé); two-piece luggage compartment cover in striking, three-dimensional design.
- Exclusive colour and materials concept; roof in contrasting colour as standard; new interpretation of the optional Sport stripes in the same contrasting colour on the bonnet, boot lid and rear apron, and in body colour on the roof; anthracite roof liner as standard; new upholstery variants, exterior mirror colours, trim strips and Colour Lines offer additional scope for customisation.
- High-quality standard equipment and innovative options underlining the premium character typical of the brand yet unique in the segment; speed-sensitive power steering, electrically adjustable exterior mirrors, Park Distance Control, height-adjustable seats, air conditioning (MINI Cooper S Coupé, MINI Cooper SD Coupé, MINI John Cooper Works Coupé) and an audio system with MP3-compatible CD player and AUX IN connection as standard; optional equipment includes black headlight housing, xenon headlights, Adaptive Headlights, Comfort Access, automatic climate control, automatically dimming rear-view mirror and exterior mirrors, storage package, preparation for a rear luggage carrier rack, the John Cooper Works Pack and exclusive options from the MINI Yours range; a variety of entertainment and communications functions unparalleled in the segment: Harman Kardon Hi-Fi loudspeaker system, Bluetooth mobile phone preparation, USB audio interface; innovative MINI Connected functions – including web radio, Google local search and Google Send to Car services, reception of RSS news feeds, plus in-car use of Facebook and Twitter – available in conjunction with the MINI Visual Boost radio or MINI navigation system.
MINI John Cooper Works Coupé:
- Four-cylinder petrol engine with twin-scroll turbocharger and direct injection, plus numerous technological details carried over directly from motor sport.
- Displacement: 1,598 cc,
- output: 155 kW/211 hp at 6,000 rpm,
- max. torque: 260 Nm/192 lb-ft at 2,000 – 5,100 rpm (280 Nm/207 lb-ft with overboost at 1,700 – 4,500 rpm).
- Acceleration: 0–100 km/h (62 mph): 6.4 seconds, top speed: 240 km/h (149 mph).
- Average fuel consumption according to EU standard: 7.1 litres per 100 kilometres (39.8 mpg imp), CO2 emissions: 165 g/km.
MINI Cooper S Coupé:
- Four-cylinder petrol engine with twin-scroll turbocharger, direct injection and fully variable valve management based on the BMW Group’s VALVETRONIC technology.
- Displacement: 1,598 cc,
- output: 135 kW/184 hp at 5,500 rpm,
- max. torque: 240 Nm/177 lb-ft at 1,600 – 5,000 rpm (260 Nm/192 lb-ft with overboost at 1,700 – 4,500 rpm).
- Acceleration: 0–100 km/h (62 mph): 6.9 seconds, top speed: 230 km/h (143 mph).
- Average fuel consumption according to EU standard: 5.8 litres per100 kilometres (48.7 mpg imp), CO2 emissions: 136 g/km.
MINI Cooper Coupé:
- Four-cylinder petrol engine with fully variable valve management based on the BMW Group’s VALVETRONIC technology.
- Displacement: 1,598 cc,
- output: 90 kW/122 hp at 6,000 rpm,
- max. torque: 160 Nm/118 lb-ft at 4,250 rpm,
- Acceleration: 0–100 km/h (62 mph): 9.0 seconds, top speed: 204 km/h (127 mph),
- Average fuel consumption according to EU standard: 5.4 litres per 100 kilometres (52.3 mpg imp), CO2 emissions: 127 g/km.
MINI Cooper SD Coupé:
- Four-cylinder turbodiesel with aluminium crankcase, common-rail injection and variable turbine geometry.
- Displacement: 1,995 cc,
- output: 105 kW/143 hp at 4,000 rpm,
- max. torque: 305 Nm/225 lb-ft at 1,750 – 2,700 rpm.
- Acceleration: 0–100 km/h (62 mph): 7.9 seconds, top speed: 216 km/h (134 mph).
- Average fuel consumption according to EU standard: 4.3 litres per 100 kilometres (65.7 mpg imp), CO2 emissions: 114 g/km.
- Length: 3,734 millimetres (MINI Cooper Coupé: 3,728 millimetres
- Width: 1,683 millimetres
- Height: 1,384 millimetres (MINI Cooper Coupé: 1,378 millimetres)
- Wheelbase: 2,467 millimetres
- MINI Coupé detailed press release & tech specs (395kb PDF)