Mark Webber got off to a delayed start in pre-seaon testing at Jerez, before recovering to post the fourth quickest time of the day (1m20.496s). The track debut of the RB8 had to be postponed while the team waited for new parts to arrive and around three hours were lost. Webber said he was satisfied with the day’s running which still yielded 53 laps.
The comeback of Kimi Raikkonen got off to a flying start with the 2007 World Champion posting the quickest time (1m19.670s) in day one of testing.
After the break you can watch a video clip from testing which includes interviews with Mark Webber, Christian Horner, Kimi Raikkonen and Paul di Resta.
Horner briefly discusses the ‘air intake’ on the RB8’s nose and says it’s simply there for ‘driver cooling’.
[Pics: Red Bull/Getty Images]
2012 F1 pre-season testing â€“ Jerez (day 1)
- Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus-Renault â€“ 1m19.670s (73 laps)
- Paul di Resta, Force India-Mercedes â€“ 1m19.772s +0.102 (101 laps)
- Nico Rosberg, Mercedes* â€“ 1m20.219s +0.549 (56 laps)
- Mark Webber, Red Bull-Renault â€“ 1m20.496s +0.826 (53 laps)
- Daniel Ricciardo, Toro Rosso-Ferrari â€“ 1m20.694s +1.024 (57 laps)
- Michael Schumacher, Mercedes* â€“ 1m20.794s +1.124 (41 laps)
- Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber-Ferrari â€“ 1m21.353s +1.683 (106 laps)
- Jenson Button, McLaren-Mercedes â€“ 1m21.530s +1.860 (60 laps)
- Felipe Massa, Ferrari â€“ 1m22.815s +3.145 (69 laps)
- Heikki Kovalainen, Caterham-Renault â€“ 1m23.178s +3.508 (28 laps)
- Pastor Maldonado, Williams-Renault â€“ 1m23.371s +3.701 (25 laps)
- Pedro de la Rosa, HRT-Cosworth* â€“ 1m23.676s +4.006 (44 laps)
All Timing Unofficial (Source: Autosport)
*Running last year’s car