Yesterday BMW lifted the covers from its new 6 Series Coupé, well, in an online internet way at least. But, let’s go back a model first. Here at AUSmotive we generally supported the theory behind Chris Bangle’s flame surfacing. His 5 Series and Z4 were easily the most successful executions of his controversial design language. The worst example? For us, it was, far and away, the former 6 Series Coupé. It was just plain horrible (take a look for yourself after the break).
So, what of this new model, then, has BMW redeemed itself? It’s better, that’s true, but we’re still not entirely convinced. The nose is still a bit droopy and, in profile view, the long bonnet is almost comic book like. Perhaps seeing the car in the metal will be an improvement. It’s also true that one’s views on styling can change over time, so let’s call the new 6 a qualified pass for now.
Powering the 6 Coupé from initial launch will be a 4.4 litre V8 graced with the undeniable beauty of twin turbos and resulting in a healthy 300kW/600Nm. It can sprint to 100km/h in 4.9 seconds. The entry level model features a 3.0 litre inline six, also with a pair of turbos, and makes 235kW/450Nm. It does the 100 dash in 5.4 seconds.
We’ll be back a bit later to add some more pics. For now, there’s a further 10 images available as well as BMW’s full press release. We’d love to hear your thoughts on the car, so please leave a few words in the comments section below.
UPDATE: 19 new pics and a BMW promo video have now been added below.
The New BMW 6 Series Coupé
Captivating aesthetics, top-class performance, an exclusive interior and exceptionally innovative equipment features give the third-generation BMW 6 Series Coupé “dream car” credentials.
Vehicle concept is unparalleled in the premium segment, combining the dynamics of a 2+2-seater sports car with outstanding touring com-fort; body length and wheelbase 75 millimetres longer than the prede-cessor model, enhancing seating comfort for rear passengers; ex-tremely sporty appearance thanks to a 39-millimetre increase in width and 5-millimetre reduction in height.
Two engine variants available from launch: BMW 650i Coupé with eight-cylinder powerplant (300 kW/407 hp), BMW 640i Coupé with six-in-line petrol unit (235 kW/320 hp).
Both engine variants come as standard with an eight-speed Sports au-tomatic gearbox; BMW EfficientDynamics measures unmatched in the segment (including Auto Start-Stop function and ECO PRO mode in the BMW 640i Coupé); optimised efficiency combined with significant output increase over predecessor models of 30 kW (BMW 650i) and 35 kW (BMW 640i).
Newly developed chassis; only car in the segment available with Elec-tric Power Steering and optional Integral Active Steering; Drive Dynam-ic Control fitted as standard, Dynamic Damper Control and Adaptive Drive optional.
First car in the segment with Adaptive LED Headlights for low and high beam, including cornering function, foglamps and rear lights also with LED technology.
Standard BMW iDrive control system with freestanding Control Dis-play; unrivalled range of BMW ConnectedDrive features, including lat-est-generation BMW Head-Up Display (with high-definition, full-colour-spectrum graphics), rear-view camera, Surround View, Speed Limit In-fo, BMW Night Vision and Parking Assistant
Driving pleasure tailored to individual preferences thanks to unique equipment options, including comfort and sports seats, active seats, seat ventilation, Exclusive Nappa leather, ceramic applications, and a newly developed and model-specific Bang & Olufsen High-End Sur-round Sound System.
BMW 650i Coupé:
- V8 petrol engine, BMW TwinPower Turbo tech-nology with High Precision Injection direct injection.
- Displacement: 4,395 cc, output: 300 kW/407 hp at 5,500 – 6,400 rpm, max. torque: 600 Nm at 1,750 – 4,500 rpm.
- Acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph): 4.9 seconds, top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph).
- Average fuel consumption according to EU standard: 10.4 litres/100 kilometres (27.2 mpg imp)*, CO2 emissions according to EU standard: 243 g/km*, exhaust standard: EU5.
BMW 640i Coupé:
- Six-cylinder in-line petrol engine, BMW TwinPower Turbo technology with direct-injection High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC.
- Displacement: 2,979 cc, output: 235 kW/320 hp at 5,800 rpm, max. torque: 450 Nm at 1,300 – 4,500 rpm.
- Acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph): 5.4 seconds, top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph).
- Average fuel consumption according to EU standard: 7.7 litres/100 kilometres (36.7 mpg imp)*, CO2 emissions according to EU standard: 179 g/km*, exhaust standard: EU5.
* The fuel consumption and CO2 emissions stated are provisional figures
- BMW 6 Series Coupé – full press release (400kb PDF)