BMW has released new images and info on the 6 Series Gran CoupÃ©. It’s the latest four seat ‘coupÃ©’ to make the transition from concept to reality. It actually looks better than the proper 6 Series CoupÃ© on which it is based. Well, we think so anyway.
The matt finish Frozen Bronze metallic paint looks great in photos, but we wonder if it may be a bit painful to maintain. We do give a big tick to its engine line up. There’s three units offered, all helping you become more accustomed with BMW’s TwinPower Turbo nomenclature.
Topping the range is the 650i which is a 330kW/650Nm 4.4 litre twin turbo V8. Beneath that sits the 235kW/450Nm 640i featuring a 3.0 litre straight six with a twinscroll turbo. These are joined by the now obligatory diesel offering, in this instance its called the 640d and is powered by a 230kW/630Nm 3.0 litre two-stage turbo.
It’s not clear yet if BMW Australia will offer the car locally, but we reckon they might build a case for it. Firstly, its natural competitor the Audi A7 Sportback is available (click here for a great photo comparison of the two). But, mostly, we reckon they won’t have any trouble finding buyers willing to part with their cash for such a car. It’s sleek, stylish and sure to impress whoever it is sir wants to impress.
More after the break, including pics, video and detailed press material.
Moving elegance. The BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe.
11.12.2011 â€“ Munich. The presentation of the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe sees BMW venturing into a new vehicle segment once again. The third model in the BMW 6 Series line-up follows in the tyre tracks of the Convertible and Coupe, and is the first four-door Coupe in the history of the brand. The athletic elegance of the carâ€™s design makes it a particularly handsome addition to the range. Powerful engines and sophisticated chassis technology combine to produce an impressively dynamic driving experience. And the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe also makes its mark with exclusive equipment features and a level of practicality unmatched by its premium four-door Coupe rivals.
At a glance.
BMW demonstrates its ongoing commitment to broadening the diversity of its model range with the presentation, for the first time, of a four-door Coupe based on the BMW 6 Series; BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe sets new benchmark in the top-class premium segment in terms of aesthetics, emotionality and modernity.
Unique combination of sporty driving pleasure, elegant design, exclusive interior ambience, travel comfort and practicality; the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe displays an â€“ in some areas â€“ significant step forwards in terms of design harmony, performance, equipment, practicality and integration; high-quality interior with generous levels of space and impressive seating comfort; third rear seat (4+1-seater); length: 5,007 millimetres, wheelbase: 2,968 millimetres; split/folding rear seat backrests allow boot capacity to increase from 460 litres to 1,265 litres.
Building on the aesthetically pleasing styling of the BMW 6 Series, the design of the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe showcases its distinctive character; strikingly low-slung appearance.
Front-end design points to BMW 6 Series identity, individual character embodied by model-specific electroplated bars between the air intake and foglamps; twin round headlights with three-dimensional light rings, optional adaptive LED headlights; distinctive silhouette with flowing Coupe-style roof line and elegant take on the Hofmeister kink, complete with â€œGran Coupeâ€ lettering on the C-pillar; eye-catching rear emphasises the width of the car; LED rear lights in an L-shape â€“ like the BMW 6 Series Coupe and BMW 6 Series Convertible; full-length third brake light above the rear window.
Exclusively appointed interior with driver-focused cockpit; door panels flow into one another seamlessly, providing a harmonious connection all the way from the instrument panel to the rear compartment; flatscreen Control Display; comfort-oriented rear seat backrest angle; seating position slightly higher than in the
BMW 6 Series Coupe and BMW 6 Series Convertible.
Engines with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology; BMW 640i Gran Coupe with six-cylinder in-line petrol engine (235 kW/320 hp), twin-scroll turbocharging, direct injection and VALVETRONIC, and BMW 640d Gran Coupe (230 kW/313 hp) with variable sequential turbocharging and common-rail direct injection available from launch; flagship BMW 650i Gran Coupe with new eight-cylinder engine (330 kW/450 hp), two turbochargers, direct injection and VALVETRONIC to be added to the line-up; all model variants fitted as standard with an eight-speed sports automatic transmission and Driving Experience Control switch; BMW EfficientDynamics measures unmatched in the segment â€“ including Auto Start-Stop function and ECO PRO mode â€“ come as standard with all engine variants.
State-of-the-art chassis technology including Electric Power Steering and Dynamic Damper Control as standard; Integral Active Steering and Adaptive Drive available as an option; BMW xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive available from launch of the BMW 650i Gran Coupe.
Intelligent lightweight design mirroring that of the BMW 6 Series Coupe and BMW 6 Series Convertible: aluminium doors with frameless side windows, aluminium bonnet, chassis technology including spring supports made largely from aluminium, thermoplastic front side panels, glass fibre composite boot lid.
High-quality and extensive standard equipment includes eight-speed sports automatic transmission, Auto Start-Stop function, Dynamic Damper Control, Servotronic, 18-inch light-alloy wheels, xenon headlights with LED daytime running light rings, cruise control with braking function, electrically operated, automatically folding and heated exterior mirrors, Dakota leather upholstery and heated front seats, electric seat adjustment with memory function for the driver and front passenger, 2-zone automatic climate control with extended features, automatically dimming exterior and rear-view mirrors, electric steering wheel adjustment, and the Radio Professional with HiFi loudspeaker system and USB audio interface.
Unrivalled range of BMW ConnectedDrive products, including BMW Parking Assistant, Speed Limit Info, camera-based Collision Warning with braking function (in conjunction with Active Cruise Control) and latest-generation BMW Head-Up Display; exclusive options list includes a Bang & Olufsen High-End Surround Sound System, comfort seats and sports seats, active seats, seat ventilation, Exclusive Nappa leather, ceramic applications, heated rear seats and 4-zone automatic climate control; extensive range of model-specific BMW Individual features and M Sport package available from launch.
BMW 650i Gran Coupe (BMW 650i xDrive Gran Coupe)
- V8 petrol engine, BMW TwinPower Turbo technology with two turbochargers and High Precision Direct Petrol Injection, VALVETRONIC.
- Displacement: 4,395 cc, output: 330 kW/450 hp at 5,500 â€“ 6 000 rpm,
- max. torque: 650 Nm / 479 lb-ft at 2,000 â€“ 4,500 rpm.
- Acceleration [0 â€“ 100 km/h / 62 mph]: 4.6 seconds (4.5 seconds),
- top speed: 250 km/h /155 mph.
- Average fuel consumption*: 8.6 â€“ 8.8 (9.2 â€“ 9.4) litres per 100 kilometres / 32.1 â€“ 32.9 (30.1 â€“ 30.7) mpg imp,
- CO2 emissions*: 199 â€“ 206 g/km (215 â€“ 219 g/km), exhaust standard: EU5.
BMW 640i Gran Coupe
- Six-cylinder in-line petrol engine,
- BMW TwinPower Turbo technology with twin-scroll turbocharging,
- High Precision Direct Petrol Injection and VALVETRONIC.
- Displacement: 2,979 cc, output: 235 kW/320 hp at 5,800 â€“ 6 000 rpm,
- max. torque: 450 Nm (332 lb-ft) at 1,300 â€“ 4,500 rpm.
- Acceleration [0 â€“ 100 km/h / 62 mph]: 5.4 seconds,
- top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph).
- Average fuel consumption*: 7.7 â€“ 7.9 litres per 100 kilometres (35.8 â€“ 36.2 mpg imp),
- CO2 emissions*: 179 â€“ 183 g/km, exhaust standard: EU5.
BMW 640d Gran Coupe
- Six-cylinder in-line diesel engine,
- BMW TwinPower Turbo technology with two-stage turbocharging and common-rail direct injection.
- Displacement: 2,993 cc, output: 230 kW/313 hp at 4,400 rpm,
- max. torque: 630 Nm (465 lb-ft) at 1,500 â€“ 2,500 rpm.
- Acceleration [0 â€“ 100 km/h / 62 mph]: 5.4 seconds,
- top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph),
- Average fuel consumption*: 5.5 â€“ 5.7 litres per 100 kilometres (49.6 â€“ 50.4 mpg imp),
- CO2 emissions*: 146 â€“ 149 g/km, exhaust standard: EU5.
* Figures according to EU test cycle and depending on tyre format; BMW 650i Gran Coupe: provisional figures
- BMW 6 Series Gran CoupÃ© â€“ detailed press kit (920kb PDF)