The 2009 MINI Challenge season wrapped up just before Christmas at the Sydney 400. This was a new street circuit for the series, held in Homebush at Sydney Olympic Park.Coming in to the round Paul Stokell held a reasonable safe series lead and just needed to collect a meagre 24 points from the three races to secure his first MINI Challenge title.
The first clip above features the action from the first two races, while the clip after the jump wraps up the season with highlights from the final race of the year. More action from Race 1 can be seen be seen on this earlier AUSmotive post.
Despite a wheel literally falling off in the first race Paul Stokell was able to secure the points he needed in Race 2 and in doing so collected the 2009 Championship for himself and DecoRug racing. Stokell finished the year on 966 points, 48 ahead of series debutant Chris Alajajian on 918. Rounding out the top three for the year was Scott Bargwanna on 873 points.
In 2010 it looks like we might be seeing more of former touring car ace Glenn Seton, who took out the round win here at Homebush. He will make a great addition to the field and add some further depth to the series.
You can check a preliminary calendar for the 2010 season at the MINI Challenge website. For now, though, we’re set for Round 1 of the new season to take place at the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide, 11-14 March.
TOP TEN CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS 2010
- Paul Stokell DecoRug Racing – 966
- Chris Alajajian Standox Paints – 918
- Scott Bargwanna ROCK Energy Drinks – 873
- Nathan Caratti Glory Team Racing – 765
- Grant Denyer DecoRug Racing – 753
- Beric Lynton Bruce Lynton MINI Garage – 391.5
- BJ Cook ROCK Energy Drinks – 376.5
- John Modystach Prosurve – 358.5
- Grant Sherrin Sherrin Rentals – 234
- Sean Carter ROCK Energy Drinks – 201