Audi has released images and early details of its all-new A4 saloon and estate. The new B9 model range goes on sale in Europe in a few months and will launch in Australia in 2016.
At initial launch the A4 will be available with three petrol engines and four diesel options. Audi claims fuel consumption has been reduced by 21% across the board.
For the first time you’ll be able to choose an S tronic transmission in a front-wheel drive A4 (S tronics were previously only available with a quattro drivetrain). Manual transmissions will be available for overseas markets, but with final specs for Australia yet to be confirmed we won’t be holding our breath waiting for word that a manual A4 will be easy to come by down under.
Audi has redesigned the suspension with a five-link setup front and rear (see pictures below), claiming an increase in ride comfort and “accentuated sportiness”.
Of course, the new model is bigger and lighter than the outgoing B8 range. Audi says the interior of the new A4 is longest in its class and that it offers the most shoulder room for front seat occupants as well. Weight reduction is modest with a maximum of 15kg saved compared with the old model.
There’s a bunch of photos waiting for you below, including some cool cutaways, plus a comprehensive press kit available for download.
High tech all the way – the new Audi A4 and A4 Avant
Ingolstadt, 29 June 2015. More powerful, more efficient, more intelligent: the new Audi A4 and A4 Avant feature numerous premium technologies which set higher benchmarks for their class. Elegant design blends with an innovative control concept, and lightweight construction meets new, efficient drivetrain solutions. The A4 and A4 Avant are also ahead of their peers in terms of infotainment and assistance systems. As a result, Audi drivers can look forward to a truly high-tech experience ― an innovative synthesis of technology and esthetics.
At a glance—The new Audi A4 and Audi A4 Avant
Exterior design and body
- Athletic proportions and sporty elegance; the Avant with raked D-pillars
- 4.73 meters (15.5 ft) long, 2.82-meter (9.3 ft) wheelbase, 1.84 meters (6.0 ft) wide, 1.43 meters (4.7 ft) high
- Optional LED headlights and matrix LED headlights with dynamic turn indicators
- Light body: weight reduced by up to 15 kilograms (33.1 lb) compared with the previous model
- Best drag coefficient in its class: 0.23 for the Sedan, 0.26 for the Avant; aeroacoustics ensure peace and quiet on board
- The longest interior and greatest shoulder width at the front compared with competitors
- Avant has a luggage compartment volume of 505 liters (17.8 cu ft)
- Avant has an electrical luggage compartment cover as standard
- Interior design with large decorative surfaces and continuous air vent strip; new colors and materials, spacious interior, LED interior lighting as standard equipment, first-class workmanship
- Largest range of lightweight seats amongst the premium competitors
- Automatic climate control with a new interface
- Optional LED interior lighting packages with color-adjustable ambient lighting
- New equipment concept with sport and design lines – for the first time with exterior differentiation
- Optionally available: head-up display and Audi virtual cockpit
- Completely redesigned MMI operating concept including free-text search function
- Can also be operated by multifunction steering wheel and natural-language voice control
Infotainment and Audi connect
- Optional top-end infotainment system MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch and an 8.3-inch MMI monitor including Audi connect, LTE connectivity and Wi-Fi hotspot. Audi phone box available with inductive charging
- Many new Audi connect services including remote control via smartphone app to check and control the car
- Audi smartphone interface for connecting Apple and Android phones
- Bang & Olufsen Sound System with innovative 3D sound and Audi tablet as mobile rear-seat entertainment
- Three TFSI and four TDI engines at market launch, 110 kW (150 hp) to 200 kW (272 hp), up to 25 percent more power
- Fuel consumption reduced by up to 21 percent, Audi A4 2.0 TDI ultra with new best figures: just 3.7 liters of diesel per 100 km (63.6 US mpg) and 95 grams of CO2 per kilometer (152.9 grams per mile)
- Highly efficient 3.0 TDI in two power versions
- Economical 1.4 TFSI with 4.9 liters per 100 km (48.0 US mpg) and 114 grams CO2 per km (183.5 g/mi)
- New 2.0 TFSI ultra with 140 kW with newly developed combustion method and just 4.8 liters of gasoline per 100 km (49.0 US mpg) and 109 grams of CO2 per km (175.4 g/mi)
- A4 Avant g-tron – can operate on sustainably produced Audi e-gas
- New generations of the S tronic, tiptronic and manual transmission. S tronic in A4 for front-wheel drive for the first time, both automatic transmissions with freewheeling function
- Front-wheel drive or quattro drive with wheel-selective torque control
- Redesigned, light five-link axles at front and rear, significant increase in comfort with accentuated sportiness
- Newly developed electromechanical power steering, with dynamic steering on request
- Audi drive select dynamic driving system standard as of 140 kW (190 hp), suspension with adjustable shock absorbers available as an option
Driver assistance systems and integrated safety
- Stop&Go adaptive cruise control including traffic-jam assist for slow-moving traffic
- Predictive efficiency assistant for even lower fuel consumption
- Audi active lane assist and Audi side assist
- New: parking assist, rear cross-traffic assist, exit warning, turn assist, collision avoidance assist and camera-based traffic-sign recognition
- New safety systems: Audi pre sense city, basic and rear
- The new Audi A4 and A4 Avant press kit (197kb PDF)