Thanks to AUSmotive reader Ed who has sent in these two images of the Volkswagen Golf R. The pictures were snapped at Fremantle wharf this morning. The great news here is that, firstly, the Golf R is closer to its local launch, but, also that the car in the picture is a three-door model.
Recently, there has been growing speculation that the Golf R would only be available in Australia in a five-door format. These pics would tend to indicate otherwise. Don’t be surprised, though, if Volkswagen Australia limits supply of three-door models. This is just a hunch I have, and is not based on any firm information.
More on the Golf R, including expected specification levels, can be read below.
Yesterday, AUSmotive received an anonymous tip revealing initial specification details for the Golf R. Keep in mind these spec could change before the official Australian launch. Prospective owners of the hottest Golf sold in Australia should not expect the car to come standard with leather seats. Instead the Kyalami/San Remo black/grey fabric combination (shown above) will be the entry level spec, with Recaro-style micro-fibre and leather race buckets to be a $5000+ option. Regular leather seats can also be specced for $3300.
It is a little difficult to tell from the images, but the wheels on the car at Fremantle may very well be optional 19″ Talladega alloys in black. Regular silver colouring will also be available in this sizing. Other optional specification will include Adaptive Chassis Control ($1500), premium Dynaudio($1300) and Bluetooth (assume regular Volkswagen accessory pricing).
Bi-xenon headlights will be included as standard for Australian spec Golf R models. As will 18″ Talladega alloy wheels, front and rear parking sensors, metallic paint, LED rear lights and LED daytime-running lights. R-model specific trim and a three-spoke steering wheel will also be included.
As expected, Australia’s designation as warm climate country dictates the Golf R engine will be detuned like the Audi S3, which uses the same 2.0 litre turbocharged four cylinder. That means power and torque numbers will be capped to 188kW/330Nm (down from European-spec numbers of 195kW/350Nm).
The Golf R will be available in five colours; Rising Blue Pearl Effect, Candy White (as pictured above), Reflex Silver Metallic, United Grey Metallic and Deep Black Pearl Effect.
No word on pricing yet, however, with no leather seats as standard it would seem reasonable to suggest that Volkswagen will target a mid-50K price range. This pricing was hinted at in February when Karl Gehling, Volkswagen Australia General Manager Press and PR, spoke with carsales.com.au.
If mid-50s pricing does prove correct, that will see the Golf R undercut its Audi stabelmate by some $10,000. Volkswagen could be on to a massive sales hit here. Let’s wait and see!
Expected entry level spec for Australian delivered Golf R models*
- Engine type: 4 cylinder inline direct injection turbocharged (TSI) petrol engine
- Displacement: 2.0 Litre/1984 cmÂ³
- Max. power: 188 kW @ 6000 rpm
- Max. torque: 330 Nm @ 2400 â€“ 5200 rpm
- Acceleration: 5.9 seconds 0-100km/h (manual); 5.7 seconds 0-100km/h (DSG)
- Fuel consumption: 8.7L/100km, combined (manual and DSG)
- Front, driverâ€™s knee, front side and curtain airbags, front & rear (7)
- ABS, EDL, ASR, ESP, Brake Assist and Hill Start Assist (HSA) (with DSG)
- 4MOTION all wheel drive
- Lowered sports suspension
- R body styling with high gloss black highlights
- Gloss, Metallic or Pearl Effect paint finish
- Anti-theft alarm system
- Parking distance sensors, front and rear with Optical Parking System (OPS)
- 18â€œ Talladega alloy wheels (4)
- Low tyre pressure indicator
- Cruise control
- Multi-Function Display (MFD Plus)
- Dual zone automatic climate control air conditioning
- Multi-function leather steering wheel with gearshift paddles (with DSG)
- Front and rear centre armrests
- RCD510 6 disc CD changer with touch screen, SD card slot and auxiliary input audio socket
- â€˜Silver laneâ€™ decorative trim and aluminium pedals
- Front R Top sports seats with height and lumbar adjustment
- Kyalami/San Remo cloth/mirco fibre combination upholstery
- Remote central locking, power windows and power/heated door mirrors
- Rain sensing wipers and automatically dimming rear-view mirror
- Bi-Xenon headlights with dynamic cornering lights, headlight washers and automatic self levelling
- Automatic headlights and coming/leaving home function
- LED strip mounted in front bumper and LED taillights in dark tinted housing
- Dark tinted rear side and rear window glass, 65% light absorbing
- Aluminium door sill strips (front) with R logo
Expected optional equipment*
- Electric glass sunroof
- RNS510 satellite navigation system
- Dynaudio 300W premium audio system
- RNS510 with Dynaudio 300W premium audio
- Media Device Interface (MDI)
- Rear View Camera (RVC)
- Adaptive chassis control
- Vienna leather appointed upholstery
- Micro fibre/leather racing style front seats
- Electrically adjustable driverâ€˜s seat (with leather seats only)
- Talladega 19″ alloy wheels in SILVER
- Talladega 19″ alloy wheels in BLACK
*Subject to official confirmation