We’ve already brought you up to speed on the likely plans BMW has to call the next 1 Series coupÃ©/convertible the 2 Series; including new M2 badging. Now it seems the 3 Series two-doors are in for the same plus one treatment with word filtering around the internets they will be called the 4 Series.
It’s a move that loosely follows their German rivals, in particular Audi, who have introduced the A5 CoupÃ© and Sportback to complement its volume selling A4 range.
BMW’s marketing gurus will love it, as they will be able to position the new 2 and 4 Series models slightly above their more mundane four-door siblings and, of course, that means they can charge more too.
The new naming regime should begin in 2013 with the 2 Series (replacing the 1 Series coupÃ©) closely followed by the 4 Series (replacing the 3 Series coupÃ©).
BMW 2 Series and 4 Series timeline
- F32 4 Series â€“ 3rd quarter 2013 (3-series coupÃ© replacement)
- F33 4 Series â€“ 2nd quarter 2014 (3-series convertible replacement)
- F35 4 Series â€“ 2nd quarter 2015 (all-new four-door coupÃ©)
- F22 2 Series â€“ 1st quarter 2013 (1-series coupÃ© replacement)
- F23 2 Series â€“ 3rd quarter 2014 (1-series cabriolet replacement)