Got a spare $49,900? If so then you can rush down to your closest Audi dealer and buy yourself an S1 Sportback.
When you get there we’re sure you’ll be disappointed to learn that Audi Australia has once again robbed you of the chance to buy your hot hatch in the more appealing three door layout, but at least you can laugh at all those double-clutch schmucks with your very own 6-speed manual gearbox.
Of course, you’ll also have a smile on your face thanks to the 170kW/370Nm 2.0 TFSI engine and a better than the pub critic will ever admit Haldex-based quattro all-wheel drive system stuffed under that pretty funky bodywork.
As is Audi’s wont these days, they’ve gathered up a whole bunch of goodies into special equipment packages. This is cleverly done to prise more money from your wallet while making it look like you’re getting a screaming bargain.
Then, when you’ve taken Audi up on those bargains, paid the nice government folk all their taxes, your $50K hot hatch, which once seemed reasonably priced, is now all of a sudden pushing $65K and you’re left thinking why didn’t I just buy an S3!
Cheekiness aside, we do think the S1 is a proper feisty little bit of kit and we wouldn’t at all object if you put good reason to one side and said, “Yes please Audi, I’ll have me one of those!”
Full details await after the break.
The Audi S1 returns
- Powerful 170kW 2.0 TFSI engine, quattro all-wheel-drive
- Specially engineered sports suspension setup for extraordinary dynamics
- Priced at $49,900 MLP*, with an impressive list of standard equipment
Tasmania, September 26, 2014 – A legendary name is making a comeback, as Audi presents the all-new S1 Sportback in Australia. In the 1980s, the Audi Sport quattro S1 garnered a giant-killing reputation in the famous Group B World Rally Championship class. Now, the S1 nameplate returns, as an incredible performance model that sits at the very top of Audi’s premium small compact range.
“The S1 name is regarded with a certain kind of reverence within Audi,” said Andrew Doyle, Managing Director of Audi Australia.
“The Sport quattro S1 represents such an important part of our racing heritage, and the Audi brand itself, that for a new model to rekindle the same nameplate is very special indeed.
“It is fitting then, that the new S1 Sportback is without rival. No other car of its size can boast such impressive performance credentials, with its powerful 2.0-litre engine, quattro all-wheel drive and a depth of engineering that is unique to this special model,” said Mr Doyle.
The new Audi S1 Sportback is powered by a 2.0-litre TFSI engine that produces 170kW and 370Nm. It is available exclusively with a six-speed manual transmission, and is paired with Audi’s quattro all-wheel-drive technology for unmatched dynamics.
The S1 Sportback can launch from rest to 100 km/h in 5.9 seconds, and returns fuel consumption of 7.1 litres per 100km.
The S1 Sportback has been engineered to deliver extraordinary performance, from the ground-up. Not only is it the only model in the A1 range with quattro all-wheel drive, but the S1 also has a unique four-link rear suspension setup. The entire steering and suspension setup has been specifically tuned for sporty handling, including switchable dampers that are controlled by the Audi Drive Select system. The S1 Sportback also boasts larger brakes to deliver further confidence for the driver.
An active exhaust system is fitted as standard, where flaps open in the exhaust system to produce a more sonorous sound under full throttle and in ‘dynamic’ mode.
As expected of any Audi S model, the new S1 Sportback is equipped with an impressive list of standard specification, including:
- 17-inch alloy wheels in 5-parallel spoke design
- Xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running light and LED rear lights
- MMI Navigation plus, with 20GB hard drive and 2 x SDHC card slots
- Sports seats in combination of cloth and leather, with ‘S1’ embossing
- Pedals and footrest in stainless steel
- Audi parking system, rear
- Audi sound system, with 180w, 10 speakers inc. subwoofer and 6-channel amplifier
- Audi Music Interface with Bluetooth connectivity and audio streaming
- Auto-dimming interior mirror
- Automatic air conditioning
- Light and rain sensor
In addition, the following high-value option packages are available to discerning buyers who wish to personalise their vehicle:
S performance package – $4,990
- 18” alloy wheels in 5-arm facet design contrasting grey, partly polished
- Front brake calipers in S design red
- S sport front seats
- Fine Nappa leather upholstery with S1 embossing in the front seatbacks
- BOSE surround sound system
- Audi exclusive air vents in aluminium look
quattro® exterior package – $3,990 (not in conjunction with S performance package)
- Xenon headlights with red trim
- Front brake calipers in S design red
- 18” alloy wheels in 5-arm facet design matt black, partly polished
- quattro roof spoiler
- quattro logo on side
- Front bumper with aluminium-look spoiler lip
quattro® interior package – $2,490 (not in conjunction with S performance package)
- Centre console in high-gloss black, red or yellow
- S sport seats in fine Nappa leather with back rest cover in either high-gloss black, red or yellow with quattro logo
- Door armrest in fine Nappa leather in seat colour with contrasting stitching
- Leather covered multi-function 3-spoke sports flat-bottomed steering wheel with S specific contrasting stitching
- Air vent sleeves in high-gloss black with red inner ring
- Floor mats in black with contrasting double piping
*(Manufacturer List Pricing (MLP) – excludes registration, dealer delivery and government statutory charges)
S1 Sportback 2.0 TFSI quattro manual 170kW 370Nm – $49,900